Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Moving Forward - Food-Wise

I should start this by saying as a food addict, I find it highly ironic that now that I've changed my eating habits, I think more about food now than I did before I changed eating habits.  Because now I have to think out what I'm going to eat - will it be under a certain amount of calories? Will I get enough protein while keeping the fat content down? Is there too much sugar in this? 

Since my official weigh in for my deadline is on Friday I am thinking even more about food lately. Definitely thinking about calories - to make sure that I'm eating way less than I burn.  However, now that the deadline is looming I'm thinking ahead about how I can eat after the deadline.

I'm not going to be so strict on myself. I've decided I won't go crazy. But I'm also going to have a "treat" meal. Where I can indulge in a food without feeling guilt or shame.  I won't beat myself up and punish myself by doing an exta hour of cardio.  But I won't deny deny deny either. Because, let's face it, that creates the issue of being tired of being "good" and cravings that go out of control so that when you do give in you over eat.

So now all I can think of is what is my first meal? Where will I go? I want pizza! I want a hamburger and mushroom pizza. Or a green olive pizza. I want a cheeseburger. I want a Taco Bueno chicken quesadilla dipped in queso. I want Red Lobster cheddar biscuits. I want pretty much everything I haven't had in the past 9 months.  However if I give into those cravings I will definitely see the plus sign on the scale and that is no good. 

My final decision - be smart about it. If I go eat the fried food or the greasy pizza my tummy will not be happy. If I go to Red Lobster will I just limit myself to one of those yummy biscuits? NO. And I googled - there are about 160 calories in one of those suckers.  So I'll stay away from there.  But once a month as a treat I'll let myself eat what I want. Not as much as I used to.  The problem with me is I of course like to plan.  So I can prioritize where and what I want to eat first. I probably shouldn't because that makes food important, and it really shouldn't be.

But here is the plan - just so you can keep me honest, and I can stay honest - my birthday is this weekend. What do we as a family, and friends do to celebrate events? We eat!! Friday my friend is taking me to Saltgrass Steak House for a steak and salad.  Saturday I'm eating Chinese with my Mom. Already have it planned out. I'm getting chicken with cashew nuts, fried rice, egg roll, and maybe egg drop soup. And I'm NOT counting calories. And I've already told my trainer - with maybe a slight attitude cause his eyes got big and he leaned back and said that was fine, we all need a day off once in awhile.  And Sunday, I might stop by Buffalo Wild Wings for some Teryaki wings as my treat to me. I haven't decided for sure. We'll see how I feel after Friday and Saturday.

October's meal? It's going to be a weekend again - Tres Dias weekend. The weekend I escape to the lake to spend three glorious days with my Heavenly Father. And ALL the sister's He's given me.  And since it's a retreat, that means camp food, snack food, and junk food. So I'll take some healthy snacks, but I will be having biscuits and gravy and eggs and bacon for breakfast.  Just saying.

So just to reiterate - mostly to myself - now that the deadline of my birthday is pretty much here, it's time to look towards the next goal.  To maintain the healthy but be ok with indulgance.  Once in a while. In moderation.

Happy, healthy eating everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment