Friday, July 22, 2011

How group exercise classes help the weight loss journey

As I sit here unable to feel my legs after starting out my weekend right with a fast paced high calorie burning boxing boot camp class I decided that my next blog should be about how classes help with the weight loss journey.  I've had a couple people tell me that they are a little scared of classes - especially the cycle classes - so here are 5 reasons and tips on how to make it through any workout class.

1. Reason to go to workout classes: plain and simple your competitive spirit comes out.  As you work through the class you tend to focus on what you are doing, but a small part of you looks at the person next to you and says well if they can do this, I can definitely do this.  It's easy when you are working out on your own to say, you know I think it's ok if I only do a few less pounds on these lifts, or a few less reps cause I didn't really eat too many calories today.  But if you are in a group setting you tend to push yourself beyond what you think you are capable of.

2. Tip: Make friends with the teacher. When I go to a class for the first time I tend to tell the instructor it's my first time to the class and ask questions. It lets them explain the setting and structure so I get a better feel for what's to come. And a bonus is they tend to keep an eye on you and make sure you are keeping up and give you some extra encouragement (and who doesn't like that to help make it through the tough sweaty hour?).

3. Tip: Keep moving. You might not be able to keep up full force and high intensity but keep moving and do what you can. For example: in class tonight he wanted us to squat and then jump and tuck our knees up  - at the end of the class when I was exhausted. So I did a low impact version of squatting and then lifting one leg up into a tuck position while balancing on the other leg.  In cycle class if you don't want to cycle in the standing up position then stay seated and increase the resistance.

4. Tip: Stay at least half the class.  If I can make it to the half way mark, my thinking is I made it half way I might as well stick it out and finish the class.  I've walked out of a class after 15 minutes once because the teacher was so boring and I was so mad at myself.  Which brings me to the next tip -

5. Tip: try different teachers. If you are a member of a big gym (like 24 hour fitness, or LA fitness) then the odds are good that they offer the same class at multiple times.  For me it's about the music and the teacher. So if you aren't thrilled with the teacher, try another time and teacher.  Usually they have the same structure but each person puts a different spin on it. 

And speaking of spin - here's a word to the wise - when the instructor says "add a gear" or increase resistance, but your hand on the knob so that your forefinger is at noon and then turn until it is at 1, 2, or 3 depending on your level. Because some instructors tell you to add a gear 16 times in a row like they forgot how many times they told you and if you add too much you won't be able to move the peddles at all.

Hope this helps and have fun in class!

No comments:

Post a Comment