Wednesday, February 2, 2011

5 tips to get back your healthy eating habits

Right, so since I'm stuck inside because there is ice everywhere, I figure it's the perfect opportunity to finally write a blog because it seems like time goes by way too fast lately.  Anyway, my problem lately has been getting back on the strict diet I used to be on.  Part of it I believe is the fact that it is so easy to go back to old bad habits - so with the holidays it was an easy excuse to eat bad here and there as I celebrated with friends and family.  Not that I'm complaining. Because the good news is I still managed to lose 4 pounds so now at least I know I can "maintain" in the future.  But yesterday as I was huddling under my electric blanket and munching on some protein bars I had in the pantry I realized how easily I had fallen into bad habit. You see, I wasn't really hungry. I was bored. I'm an emotional eater - when I'm sad, mad, frustrated, stressed, bored I turn to food.  Something with taste or texture to soothe, calm, or excite me.  So here are five tips for getting back to eating healthy:
1. Don't watch tv while you eat.

This is one I have trouble with - my apartment, while cozy, is small and there is no room for a dining room table. So I tend to eat and watch tv. The problem with that is you become like Pavlov's dogs. I'm not calling you names, I'm just saying Pavlov would ring a bell everytime his dogs were eating so that eventually he would ring the bell and the dogs would start salivating because they associated the bell with food.  So if you eat in front of the tv, it becomes natural to eat something regardless of whether or not you are hungry.

2.  Be cautious of the commercials when you watch tv.

If you can't tell, I watch a lot of tv and movies. It's usually because I'm so tired after hitting the gym that I don't want to do much else. But we'll talk about me watching too much tv later.  The problem is that every other commercial is for fast food or some kind of junk food. For example, there was a commercial for Pizza Hut, followed by a commercial for Long John Silvers, followed by a commercial for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.  So all of a sudden I wanted pizza, fish with french fries, and peanut butter cups, and not necessarily in that order. 

3.  Drink plenty of water

Sometimes when you are thirsty your body thinks it's hungry.  So if you are hungry between meals drink a tall glass of water - it will fill you up.  I know it sounds silly or like it won't work but it does.  Yesterday I had the munchies and I realized in the evening that I hadn't drunk that much water.  I've had alot of water today and haven't been as hungry.

4.  Eat 5 or 6 small meals a day.

Be sure and eat breakfast - there is a reason they say it's he most important meal of the day - it kick starts your metabolism.  And eating a small meal every 2 to 3 hours will keep your metabolism up.  Plus it will keep you from going very hungry so that you don't overeat during a meal.  Also, I've found that if I do get hungry, I think forget this I'm getting my eating on and I'll eat whatever I can find without thinking about portion control or nutrition.

5.  Treat yourself once in awhile and moderately

Have a "treat" meal, not a "cheat" meal - if you call it cheat meal you tend to think of it as something bad, and should feel guilty about.  Make it once a week or once a month.  I was going to Sweet Tomato on Fridays after my workout to get me a good soup and salad.  Now I'm waiting because I'm going to a gathering every other Saturday and I like to have a good meal while I fellowship with my friends.  And do it moderately.  Sometimes I treat myself an go a little overboard. I'll say just one piece of dessert - but I'll have 2 or 3 if I'm honest.  But now I know that when I do treat myself I also will be doing extra cardio.

So. There are five tips I've found helpful.  I hope they help you.  And remember to take it a day at a time.  This is a lifestyle marathon, not a diet sprint.

No comments:

Post a Comment